Discussing the most maddening news.

HomePortal 2 SpcWthCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Other Outlets
. . . . . . . . .

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of MaddeningNews on your social bookmarking website

Share | 

Pa. girl gets on lung donor list; boy also sues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Em18966

PostSubject: Pa. girl gets on lung donor list; boy also sues   Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 am

Okay, I hardly think this is fair or just or medically appropriate. While my heart really does go out to the parents of this little girl (and little boy as well, who apparently lost a sibling to cystic fibrosis), the current transplant system is in place to create a level playing field when it comes to dispensing the scarcely available transplant organs to people who need them the most and who have the best chance of putting them to the longest use.

The system we have in place was designed by medical professionals, not medically illiterate lawyers and judges. Organs go to the people with the most immediate need as well as who have the best chance of successfully receiving them.

I would hate to see this little girl die waiting for another child's lungs to become available, but as I see it the whole transplant process involves heartbreak. In order for her to receive a double lung transplant, SOMEBODY is going to have to lose their life. Now, as this newly issued restraining order stands, not only will the donor have to lose their life, but the person that this little girl bumps out of line with stand a chance of losing their life as well. Not to mention that modified adult lungs are more likely to be rejected by a child than unmodified adult lungs would be by an adult. So when this is all said and done, this child has a higher likelihood of rejecting modified adult lungs than she would have of rejecting children's lungs - so it could potentially turn into a triple tragedy.

I said the following elsewhere and I would like to share it here, as well. I don't think the solution to the problem of too many in need of organ transplants lies in changing the system (especially on a cuteness-related case by case basis) but rather in how organs are approved for transplant as well as our medical technology when it comes to creating replacement organs...

I DO think that they need to take a better look at some of the organs that they previously would have discarded, such as the lungs of smokers which are currently automatically excluded from donation but according to researchers would be acceptable. I mean, if you give someone a choice between lungs from smoker or no lungs at all, most would rather take their chances with the smoker lungs.

AND we should be better funding stem cell research. Labs are able to grow organs using people's own stem cells, which would eradicate the potential of rejection as well as making more replacement organs available. Of course, this research is only in its infancy and will continue to be stunted as long as people value embryonic stem cells more than they value the quality and quantity of life of born, sentient human beings.

Quote :

A dying Pennsylvania girl has been placed on the adult waiting list for donated lungs amid a court fight over the nation's transplant rules with help from a judge who granted another petition Thursday from a boy at the same hospital.

The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network added 10-year-old Sarah Murnaghan to the list Wednesday night after a federal judge ordered U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to suspend a 12-and-over age requirement.

Sarah, who has end-stage cystic fibrosis, also remains on the priority list for a set of pediatric lungs, Sebelius said. The girl's family, through a spokeswoman, said her condition had worsened Thursday at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

The mother of an 11-year-old New York City boy hospitalized there filed a lawsuit Thursday, and U.S. District Judge Michael Baylson likewise granted that request on the grounds the boy was otherwise facing death. Javier Acosta, who also has cystic fibrosis and lost a brother to the disease, is in intensive care.

The families challenge existing transplant policy that made children under 12 wait for pediatric lungs to become available or be offered lungs donated by adults after adolescents and adults on the waiting list had been considered. They say pediatric lungs are rarely donated.

"The rule's not working. And they're reconsidering it, but ... Javier, Sarah, they would die in the meantime," said lawyer Stephen Harvey, who represents both families.

The court rulings, for now, apply only to these two children.

An expert questioned the decision on medical and ethical grounds.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25422679&nid=157&title=pa-girl-gets-on-lung-donor-list-boy-also-sues&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-4

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/15/engineered-kidney-transplant

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/29/16741714-lungs-from-pack-a-day-smokers-safe-for-transplant-study-finds?lite
Back to top Go down

Pa. girl gets on lung donor list; boy also sues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MaddeningNews :: General Discussion-
Jump to: